Monday, December 4, 2017

Flora Dress - Elegance & Elephants

Today is my day on the tour for Elegance & Elephant's Flora Dress and Tunic. It isn't often that I sew for my younger daughter, since she has inherited so many dresses from her big sister. But when she saw this unicorn double gauze fabric and begged for a pretty dress, I couldn't really say no. Especially since big sister got the same fabric but in purple, which you might remember seeing HERE.


First let me give you some of the details. It comes in sizes 9 months - 12 years. There are 3 views with 3 sleeve lengths, and you can make a dress or tunic. For those of you wary of zippers and buttons, there are NO closures! There is also a finished measurements chart (imperial and metric), and a guide to tell you which pages you need to print, which is great because there are lots of pages! You can print in black and white or color on US letter or A4 paper.


Obviously I had to make the dress view, because my girls are still in that phase where it must be a dress or else "no, thank you." I went for the long sleeves, figuring that it would be more practical for winter. 

Then I turned to my husband, who hasn't been involved in any decisions about my sewing for quite some time. I thought it might be fun to ask him what he thought about the dress: should I go full-on unicorn and use the unicorn fabric for the entire dress? Or should I go for two fabrics to try to play with the pattern pieces in the view I chose? After making it clear he was not a fan of the unicorns, he said two would be better. Since our girl loves pink, he went through my stash and chose a pink linen. Yes, linen. For winter. Friends, clearly my husband is not one to follow the rules of dressing for the weather. When I told him that linen is really more a summer fabric, he said, "But it's pink and she likes pink." So here we are. 


I briefly toyed with the idea of using gold piping, because hey, if you're going to go all out and make a bright pink unicorn dress, why not whip out the gold piping, right? Well, my husband vetoed that idea, so instead you get some gold sandals, haha.


The dress is lined, so in order to protect her from the scratchy linen, I used the soft unicorn double gauze for the inside. My daughter wasn't happy with that decision. "Mommy, I wanted the unicorns ALL on the outside!" Ooops. 
As you can see, as soon as she got the dress on and started dancing around in it (the styling is all her, I assure you ;-) ), she forgot about that oversight. However, the dancing led to all sorts of creases, and in the end I just gave up. 


One thing I should mention is that though I made her size (I usually make a straight size 5 for her based on her measurements), it does seem to have a bit of ease around the chest - though maybe this is okay since otherwise I wonder about it going over her head without any closures. Also, I think the sleeves run on the big side with this pattern. Lengthwise, I do usually have to shorten the sleeves for both my daughters, but these were overall too large for my taste. If you'd like to see how the dress fits on other children, you can see some lovely tester photos with some long-, short- and quarter-sleeve versions HERE.

Be sure to head over to the Elegance & Elephants site to see more inspiration from the other bloggers on the tour. Heidi is also offering 10% off the pattern during the tour (until December 8, 2017) with the code: FTD10. 

Happy sewing!

8 comments:

  1. well, now I finally stopped laughing after reading about your husband's decision making and its initial impact on your daughter, I can write that I think together (and it sure sounds like a team effort) you have created a perfect dress. I may have to side with your husband on print pairing ;) I think plain pink (even linen in winter) helps the unicorn fabric really stand out. I hope your daughter will enjoy many dancing sessions in her gorgeous unicorn dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenya! And my husband thanks you, too ;-) She has already accepted the pink + unicorn combination and will be dancing lots more, I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. Go designer hubby! And rules are meant to be broken. 😉 Who decides that linen is not appropriate for winter. Pft. 💁🏻‍♀️😁😁 I think she is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, "designer hubby"! I love it, Olga. And thank you!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress! This is exactly something that would happen at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! And do you involve your husband in your sewing projects, too?

      Delete
  4. It turned out adorable! I don't think I've ever let my husband make a fabric decision lol. You're brave haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! Well, so far I haven't regretted letting him choose the fabric combinations on some of my sews... Of course you must keep in mind that I don't let him choose for my makes, HAHA!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik